1st Team Match Reports 2011 – 12

Colts denied deserved winner

 Blackberry Jack 1, Harpenden Colts OB 1

    Sunday 8 April 2012                HASFL Premier Division 

Harpenden Colts Old Boys came from behind against bottom side and winless Blackberry Jack with a well taken penalty by Dave Keenleyside after Will Bates was brought down in the box and they were denied a deserved winner by an offside flag when Dave Keenleyside burst through to slot home in the second half. Chris Ellis was outsanding at the back for Colts with Jonny Richardson impressing upon his return.

Colts again struggled to get a team out but seemed to be coping with a predicable long ball game by Blackberry Jack and early chances went to Will Bates and Marc Oakley before after 28 minutes Colts failed to go with the rinner from a corner and a free header flew in off the bar to give Blackberry a rare goal and a lead that they did not deserve. Colts hit back just before the break when Will Bates burst into the box and was brought bown and Dave Keenleyside stepped up and slotted home from the spot.

The second half saw Blackberry create but not take a number of chances as Colts pressed for the winner which they thought they had after 75 minutes when a ball forward saw Dave Keenleyside take the ball past his marker to shrug off the challence before dinking the advancing keeper only for the goal to be disallowed by a late mysterious offside flag. Colts then created more chances to win the game with Jonny Richardson, Dave Keenleyside and Chris Ellis having chances but Colts secured the point which secured premiership football next season and all but condemmned Blackberry Jack to relegation with Hoggs Blacksmiths.


 Captain Ellis leads by example

 Harpenden Colts OB 4, London Road 6

    Sunday 25 March 2012                HASFL Premier Division 

Harpenden Colts Old Boys makeshift side went into half time with a 2-0 lead over London Road  with a brace by Will Bates but Road hit back straight back after the break to send Colts chasing the game and although they pulled level with goals from Dave Keenleyside and Chris Ellis 2 further goals in injury time saw Road win 6-4. Chris Newcombe was outstanding for his interceptions for Colts in defence well supported by Sam Lewis playing through injury.

Once again Colts could only just raise 11 players and Captain Chris Ellis had to lead by example by stepping up to the plate despite carring a nasty leg injury from last week. Colts took the game to Road and could have been ahead after 20 minutes with good chances falling to Dave Keenlyside and Chris Ellis. Colts went ahead after Road had a goal disallowed for offside when after 30 minutes good work by Dave Keenlyside saw Will Bates force home from close range, Colts went further ahead 2 minutes from the break when Will Bates was first to a rebound from a Dan Fensome shot to make it 2-0 and a half time lead that Colts on balance deserved.

Colts failed to switch on after the berak and Road pulled a goal back after 40 seconds with a ball played through the middle and 2 monre goals in the space of 10 minutes saw road 3-2 ahead. Colts got back into the game after 65 minutes when  a pass by Chris Ellis to Dave Keenleyside on the left side of the box saw him cut inside and curl a right foot shot round the defender for the equaliser. Colts then surrendered another goal by failing to close down balles played through the back four to go 4-3 up but on 80 minutes  good work on the left involving Dave Keenlyside saw his pass across the box laid back by Will Bates for Chris Ellis to fire home from 10 yards to equalise. Colts were then denied the point they deserved when 3 seconds into injury time a through ball saw Road bisect the defence to go 5-4 up and 3 minutes later Colts then got caught on the break to make it 6-4 and a result that their performance did not deserve.



The Magnificent 10

 Harpenden Colts OB 0, AFC Rangers 2

    Sunday 18 March 2012                HASFL Premier Division 

Late cry offs and no shows forced Harpenden Colts Old Boys to play this match throughout with just 10 men but they battled hard and looked like stealing a result but were denied 2  good penalty shouts before a well stuck 25 yarder 15 minutes from time made them chase the game and a last minute second goal ensured that there was no way back. William Bates was outstanding for Colts in a sole role up front well supported by the battling Stuart Brown in midfield and stand in keeper Colin Arnsby.

Pussy: Tom Brennan – comatose somewhere in the home counties instead of defending.

Colts pay the penalty

 Skew Bridge 2, Harpenden Colts OB 0

    Sunday 11 March 2012                HASFL Premier Division 

Harpenden Colts Old Boys paid the price for missing 2 second half penalties as they went down 2-0 against a Skew Bridge side who got their goals after 80 minutes and deep into injury time to make it a miserable Sunday for Colts. Chris Ellis was outstanding as stand in central defender for Colts supported by Oli Spicer at full back.

With a bare 11 Colts started well and in a first half that saw both sides creating chances it was Colts who first went close as chances fell to Adam Smith and Dan Fensome before Oli Spicer had to make a smart interception late in the first half after Chris Ellis clear an effort from the line.

The second half saw gaps appear for both sides and Colts again had to clear their own lines with keeper Jack Dyer being clattered on a number of occasions before Colts were awarded a penalty for holding emergency sub and stand in striker Sam Lewis down at a corner but a poor penalty was easilly saved by the keeper, Colts then paid the price for a half clearance 10 mintes from time when the second ball was lofted back in and two Skew players ran in to force header the ball over the advancing Jack Dyer. Colts were almost immediatedly handed a chance to get back in the game when Jimmy Warner was put through but brought down by the keeper as he slipped the ball past him but the resultant penalty was again missed by a poor kick and the keeper again cleared.

Pussy: The penalty takers.

Team: Dyer; Newcombe, Brennan, Ellis, Spicer; Arnsby (Lewis), Fensome, Brown, Dyball; Warner J, Smith. Subs not used: Oakley S.,  

Colts fall to route 1

 Harpenden Colts OB 0, Queens Head 2

    Sunday 4 March 2012                HASFL Premier Division 

A much depleted Harpenden Colts Old Boys looked comfortable for much of the first half against Queens Head Sandridge but they paid the penalty 5 minutes either side of the break by switching off on through balls to crash 2-0. Charlie Collins made some good saves in the Colts goal as Colts chased the game.

With injuries and unavailabilities leaving Colts with just 7 players from a squad of 20 Colts manager Steve Oakley had to call up 4 players from the reserves and Marc Oakley was unlucky to see his shot pushed onto the bar after 15 minutes as Colts passing opened up chances. Liam Price and James Warner also went close. Colts back line defended well for most of the first half but they got caught 5 minutes from the break when a though ball down the middle saw not everyone stepping up to give Queens head a simple one on one chance to make it 1-0.

The second half saw Colts pressing to get back into the game but after 5 minutes disatster stuck when a ball over the top saw hesitation indealing and clearing the ball to see the Queens Head forward run on and score from just inside the box. With Colts chasing the game and gaps apearing keeper Charlie Collins was forced into a number of good saves but Colts had their chances to pull goals back they were not taken.

Pussy: Chris Ellis – For being under the thumb and missing the game.

Team: Collins; Cooper, Brennan, Newcombe, Arnsby; Oakley M, Fensome, Brown, Dyball; Warner J. Prince. Subs not used: Oakley S.,  

Colts edge 9 goal battle of Foxcroft

 London Road 4, Harpenden Colts OB 5

    Sunday 26 February 2012                HASFL Premier Division 

 For the second week running Harpenden Colts Old Boys were forced to call up a number of reserves to field a bare 11 but in a game that they were never behind in they almost let the game get away from them after being 4-0 up at half time before winning 5-4 against London Road with a braces by James Warner and reserve midfielder Liam Prince and a single by Dan Fensome. Reserve striker Jordan Walker impressed on his first team debut with Stuart Brown working hard in midfield and keeper Charlie Collins making a number of good saves to keep road at bay.

Colts played their tradmark football from the start and they were rewarded with 3 goals in 5 minutes to send London Road chasing the game. Jimmy Warner netted the first after being slipped in by Tom Dyball after 13 minutes. Reserve midfelder Liam Prince made it 2 just two minutes later when he was first to the rebound from a Jimmy Warner shot and then after 18 minutes Liam Prince bagged his second when he got across his man to force home a Jimmy Warner cross on the near post. With London Raod being reduced to route 1 football Colts coasted the rest of the half and after Dan Fensome fired home from outside the box after controlling a Stuart Brown lob Colts makeshift side looked good for their 4-0 lead at half time.

London Road came out the second half pushing forward and with a much more physical approach and Colts failure to press the ball on the edge of the box saw Road pull one back from 20 yards through a number of players after 55 minutes. Road pulled another one back 10 minutes later when a half clearance was forced home andwhen 15 minutes from time Road got a third Colts had to defend well with Carlie Collins making a number of solid clearances from corners despite being battered. Jimmy Warner then gave Colts a further cushion on 52 minutes when he presured the Road left back and dispossessed him to round the keeper on a one on one to make it 5-3. Another long range effort whith Colts not pressing the ball saw Road pull it back to 5-4 2 minutes from time but Colts hung on for a well battled win.


Pussy: Matt Richardson – For playing 5 a side the day before.


Team: Collins; Arnsby, Brennan, Ling, Spicer; Prince, Fensome, Brown, Dyball Warner J. Walker. Subs not used: Oakley S., 

Lucky inspires depleted Colts back to winning ways

Harpenden Colts OB 3, Hoggs Blacksmiths 1

   Sunday 19 February 2012                HASFL Premier Division 

Harpenden Colts Old Boys were forced to call up a number of reserves to field a bare 11 and had to come from behind after gifting a goal after 5 minutes to eventually run out 3-1 winners against a similarly depleted Hoggs Blacksmith with goals from stand in striker Andrew Luckhurst, Stuart Brown and an own goal. Steven Stratford looked comfortable on his debut following call up from the reserves and Jason Ling also impressed at the back for Colts.

Last minute cry offs mean robbing the reserves of 3 of their best players but this was not enough to stop Colts giving away a soft goal against the run of play after 5 minutes when Tom Brennan slipped when looking favourite to clear to let the Hoggs stiker in for an easy 1 on 1. Colts hit back after 23 minutes when after a period of pressure saw a shot by Marc Oakley rebound to James Warners whose shot was similarly blocked but Andrew Luckhurst was first to the rebound to force home from a yard past 3 defending lunges.

The second half saw Colts step up a gear and they took the lead after 50 minutes when Andrew Luckhurst fed Chris Ellis on the right and his cross into the box was headed home by the unfortunate Hoggs defender. With Colts having all of the play it was game over after 70 minutes when the busy Andrew Luckhurst lobbed in a ball to Stuart Brown who touch and control on the turn saw him fire home from just inside the box.

Pussy: Tom Brennan – For falling over when not pissed to give them their goal.

Team: Collins; Arnsby, Brennan, Ling, Stratford; Fensome, Ellis, Brown, Oakley M; Warner J. Luckhurst. Subs not used: Oakley S., Newcombe (injured)


Colts face barren 2012 

AFC Rangers 3, Harpenden Colts OB 1

   Sunday 29 January 2012                HASFL Premier Division 

Injury hit Harpenden Colts Old Boys New Year run of defeats and poor form continued with an uncommitted performance against AFC Rangers when watching and waiting saw them go 3-0 down before a surge of a fightback saw them pull back a goal but fail to capitalise on chances in the last 15 minutes. Jack Dyer was outstanding in the Colts goal with Jimmy Warner working hard to try to get his side back in the game.

 Pussy: Stuart Brown – For being on the lash in London and not making the game until half time.

Team: Dyer; Arnsby, Brennan, Lewis, Gill; Luckhurst, Fensome, Ellis, Dyball; Warner J. Oakley M (Brown). Subs not used: Oakley S.

Vision keeper keeps Colts out of Quarter Final 

Harpenden Colts OB 1, Vision 2

   Sunday 22 January 2012                Herts Senior Sunday Cup R4 

The Vision stand in keeper gave a man of the match perfromance with a string of great saves to deny Harpenden Colts Old Boys a place in the quarter final of the Herts Senior County Cup as Colts pressed hard to get back and win the game after trailing 2-1 just after the break. James Warner was outstanding with his work rate in a much depleted Colts side which saw 18 year old debutant Jack Dyer give a solid performance in the Colts goal.


Pussy: Stuart Brown  & Adam Smith – For getting injured at Harpenden Town.

Team: Dyer; Arnsby, Brennan, Lewis, Spicer; Luckhurst, Fensome, Ellis, Dyball; Warner J. Richardson M. (Ling). Subs not used: Oakley S.


Colts give late Xmas Present 

Harpenden Colts OB 0, London Road 1

  Sunday 8 January 2012                HASFL Challenge Cup Qtr Final

In a game that saw the London Road keeper making numerous great saves to keep Harpenden Colts Old Boys at bay throughout this Challenge Cup Quarter Final match,  Colts then threw away the game by making an 80th minute late Xmas present of a goal when poor defending communication saw a header back go awry and the London Road forward follow up to tap the ball into an empty net. David Keenleyside was outstanding in Colts midfield with the lively James Warner creating loads of chances for colts.

Pussy: Charlie Collins  & Ollie Spicer – Too difficult to call.

Team: Collins; Newcombe (Arnsby) (Dyball), Brennan, Lewis, Spicer; Fensome, Ellis, Smith (Bates), Keenleyside; Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: none


Warner hat-trick fires Colts 

Harpenden Colts OB 5, Phoenix 0

  Sunday 11 December 2011                HASFL Premier Division

In a game that they mostly dominated Harpenden Colts Old Boys made hard work of retuning to winning ways missing numerous chances before 4 goals in the last 12 minutes sealed a comprehensive 5-0 victory against Phoenix with a hat-trick by James Warner and a brace by David Keenleyside. Chris Ellis was outstanding at the back in a depleted Colts defence well supported by a gutsy midfield debut by Adam Smith.

Colts dominated from the start and created but did not take 2 great chances in the first 2 minutes but they went ahead after 12 minutes when Stuart Brown won a challenge outside the box and the ball was forced through to Jimmy Warner who made no mistake from close range. Colts continued to press with keeper Charlie Collins dealing with long range efforts but Colts failed to turn their dominance into more goals.

The second half saw Colts continue to press and once again create great chances with Jimmy Warner and Dan Fensome both missing out from close range and for a while it seemed that Colts were destined for a lean day but 12 minutes from time matt Richardson held the ball up on the right flank and his cross headed goalwards inside the far post by Jimmy Warner before taking a deflection  into the goal to make it 2-0. Two minutes later Stuart Brown won the ball in midfield and fed Dave Keenleyside who ran through to round the keeper and make it 3. Dave Keenlyside then grabbed a virtuoso goal 4 minutes from time when he closed down the ball in midfield, won it and then ran through to slot past the keeper to make it 4-0. With Phoenix now out of the game Dan Fensome broke clear down the left with 2 minutes left and then cut the ball back for Jimmy Warner to follow in for his hat-trick.

Pussy: Dan Fensome – Kicking it straight to the keeper from 4 yards.

Team: Collins; Newcombe, Oxley, Ellis, Spicer; Fensome, Brown, Smith (Arnsby), Keenleyside; Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: Oakley S.,


 Colts hopes go askew

Harpenden Colts OB 0, Skew Bridge 1

  Sunday 4 December 2011                HASFL Premier Division

Despite creating a number of good chances Harpenden Colts Old Boys lost their 3 year unbeaten home league record when they put in a below par performance against local rivals Skew Bridge as they went down 1-0 to an unfortunate own goal by Jonny Richardson just before half time. Stuart Brown worked hard in the Colts midfield whilst keeper Charlie Collins made a number of smart saves after Colts were forced to chase the game.

Despite having to make 6 changes from last weeks starting line up Colts dominated much of the first 20 minutes and looked the side most likely to score with chances falling to Stuart Brown, Jonny Richardson and James Warner but as Skew pressed they started giving the ball away too easily to let Skew more into the game. Disaster stuck in injury time of the first half when Colts failed to clear the ball with 3 attempts and a poor clearance rebounded off the unlucky Jonny Richardson to give Skew the lead.

The second half saw Colts continue to make loose passes but they improved late in the half and created 3 good chances which fell to Stuart Brown and Jimmy Warner whilst they got caught on the break twice and had keeper Collins to thank for keeping them in the game as they chased an equaliser.

Pussy: Stuart Brown – Open goal missed.

Team: Collins; Luckhurst (Gill), Lewis, Ellis, Arnsby (Oakley M); Richardson J, Fensome, Brown, Spicer;  Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: Oakley S.,

Warner blows away Tornadoes

Harpenden Colts OB 4, Berkhamsted Tornadoes 0

  Sunday 27 November 2011                Herts County Senior Cup R3

Harpenden Colts Old Boys blew away the challenge of Berkhamsted Tornadoes in the 3rd Round of the Herts County Senior Cup with a hat-trick from James Warner and a single from Man of the Match Matthew Richardson who capped a fine display with a hat-trick of assists. Chris Ellis was outstanding at the back for Colts well supported by the hard working Stuart Brown in midfield in a game admirably controlled by referee Steve Chittenden.

In a strong wind it was important for Colts to keep the ball down and they managed this from the start and went close from James Warner and Matthew Ricchardson before after 7 minutes Colts deservedly went ahead when the maruding Matthew Richardson picked up the ball on the left flank and his cross saw James Warner stooping low to glance his header home to make it 1-0. Colts then created a host of chances but with the keeper in great form to deny Tom Dyball and James Warner Colts lost the momentum to let Berkhamstead more into the game. Normal service was resumed 4 minutes form the break then a great interchange saw Matthew Richardson turn on a ball form Stuart Brown to slip James Warner in and he made no mistake with a firm strike. Three minutes later it was 3-0 when the fired up Tom Dyball crossed for Matt Richardson to show great touches to turn and slot the ball home.

The second half saw Colts totally dominate and the keeper was again in fine form to deny James Warner, Matt Richardson, Stuart Brown and Tom Dyball who also saw the bar come to Berkhamsteads rescue whilst chances also fell to Matt Richardson, Colin Arnsby and Tom Dyball who seemed to be engaged in their own “Win the Pussy” contest. Colts finally made it 4 on 72 minutes when James Warner rose unopposed to head home a Matt Richardson corner to make it game over.

Pussy: Matt Ricardson wins a competitive Pussy for getting tangled in his own feed when faced with an open goal.

Team: Collins; Newcombe, Ling, Ellis, Arnsby; Whitehurst Z, (Cooper), Keenleyside, Browns, Dyball; Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: Oakley S., Oxley (injured), Spicer (injured)


Colts hit by Corner Controversy

Blackberry Jack 2, Harpenden Colts OB 1

 Sunday 20 November 2011                HASFL Knockout Cup Qtr Final

A depleted Harpenden Colts Old Boys dominated much of this Knockout Cup Quarter Final against Blackberry Jack game hitting the woodwork twice before going ahead from a fine Dan Fensome strike but with 10 minutes left Jacks equalised from a controversial corner and then sneaked the winner a minute from the end of extra time to knock the holders out of the cup. Sam Lewis was outstanding for Colts well supported by stand in central defended James Whitehurst.

Colts were at their passing game from the off but the final ball seemed to elude them although the Jacks keeper had to make some smart saves from Matt Richardson and Jimmy Warner to keep Colts at bay. The second half saw Colts hit the post from Matt Richardson but score immediately after 64 minutes when a scrabled clearance found Dan Fensome outside the box and his fierce left footed volley swerved into the top corner. Tom Dyball was then unlucky to see his fierce drive hit the crossbar but high controversy struck after 81 minutes when a Jacks cross  shot went wide but a corner was given and from the corner the ball was hooked home to give Jacks an undeserved equaliser and send the game into extra time.

Extra time saw Colts take the game to Jacks and Colts created but did not take numerous chances with headers from Jimmy Warner and Sam Lewis going close but a soft free kick inside the Colts half 1 minuted from time saw the  ball lumped into the Colts box and the unlucky Sam Lewis’s headed clearance rebound off the head of a Jacks forward for an undeserved winner. 

Pussy: Sam Lewis for heading wide from 2 yards

Team: Collins; Newcombe, Lewis, Whitehurst J, Arnsby; Richardson J (Luckhurst), Fensome,  Ellis, Dyball; Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: Oakley S., Palmer (injured)


Lewis strikes after Queens lose their head

Queens Head Sandridge 2, Harpenden Colts OB 2

 Sunday 13 November 2011                HASFL Premier Division

Harpenden Colts Old Boys looked comfortable for much of the first hour of this match against Queens Head Sandridge after Jimmy Warner had given them the lead but they gifted 2 soft goals before Sam Lewis headed a last minute equaliser after Queens Head were reduced to 10 men late in the game. Dan Fensome was outstanding in the Colts in midfield well supported by Stuart Brown.

Colts started well passing the ball around and created opportunities that just lacked the final killer touch and Charlie Collins was rarely troubled in the Colts oal before in the 22 minute Dan Fensome slipped a superb through ball for Jimmy Warner to cut back inside the covering defender and slide home with his left foot  to put Colts ahead. The Queens head keeper then had to make a numer of good saves to keep it at 1-0 at the break.

Not for the first time this season Colts took their foot off the gas in the second half after enforced changes and they paid the penalty for not attacking the ball on the near post from a corner to give away a soft headed goal almost on the goal line to give Queens a lift. Colts then took the game to Queens and created but did not take a number of chances and again the Queens keeper kept them in the game before with 12 minutes left Colts again failed to clear the ball from their own area from a set play and a Queens shot that was going wide was deflected into the goal for the unlucky Chris Ellis to notch up his second OG of the season. Colts then laid siege to the Queens Head goal and they got caught on the break a number of times but good defending kept them in the game and, after the Queens centre forward was sent off for hacking down Chris Newcombe, a Matt Richardson corner a minute from time was met by Sam Lewis and his free header rocketed into the net to give Colts a point that they more than deserved.

Pussy: Chris Ellis for his second OG of the season.

Team: Collins; Newcombe, Brennan (Dyball), Lewis, Whitehurst J; Fensome, Brown, Ellis Spicer (Prince); Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: Oakley S., Oxley (injured)


Warner and Dyball combine for six of the best

Harpenden Colts OB 6, Colney Heath Rangers 0

 Sunday 6 November 2011                HASFL Knockout Cup R2 

Harpenden Colts Old Boys cruised into the Herts Advertiser Knockout Cup Quarter Final with a comfortable 6-0 win over Colney Heath Rangers courtesy of a hat trick by James Warner, a brace from man of the match Matt Richardson and a well taken single from full back Colin Arnsby. Tom Dyball was in good form for Colts on the flank providing 3 assists well suported by the hard working Dan Fensome in midfield.

Colts went ahead after 10 minutes when Dan Fensome sent Jimmy Warner away on the right flank and his cross was turned in by Matt Richardson who attacked the near post to seep home. Colts then created a number of chances but it was not until the 35th minute when they got the second goal when Tom Dyball fed Jimmy Warner on the left flank and his cross found Colin Arnsby on the far flank who fired into the roof of the net on his second touch. With Colts now rampant Jimmy Warner made it 3-0 after 41 minutes after Tom Dyball cut in from the right and his fierce drive was only parried by the keeper for Warner to hook home the rebound with a fine overhead sissor kick. Warner made it 4 just 2 minutes later when Tom Dyball broke clear on the left flank and his instinctive first time cross was met by a firm header on the near post by Jimmy Warner to put Colts well and truly in the driving seat at the break.

The second half saw Colts straight out of the traps and after 4 minutes Matt Richardson rolled in Jimmy Warner in the box and Warner made no mistake from close range. It was game over after 57 minutes when great work by Jimmy Warner chasing down a long ball won a corner and Tom Dyballs corner to the near post was bundled in by Matt Richardson on the line to make it six of the best for Colts.

 Pussy: Stuart Brown for an amazing air kick.

Team: Collins; Arnsby Ellis, Lewis, Spicer (Whitehurst J); Fensome, Brown, Oxley (Newcombe), Dyball; Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: Oakley S.



Brown answers call to Arms

   North Mymms Sidthorpe Arms 1, Harpenden Colts OB 3

 Sunday 30 October 2011                Herts Senior County Cup R2 

Harpenden Colts Old Boys bossed most of this Herts Senior County Cup R2 game against North Mymms Sidthorpe Arms but they struggled to find the breakthrough until late in the game when Man of the Match midfielder Stuart Brown grabbed a brace either side of extra time to put Colts cruising to a win with Dan Fensome sealing the match with a late single. Richard Oxley was outstanding in the Colts midfield well supported by skipper Chris Ellis at the back.

Colts passing game dominated from the start and Jimmy Warner, Matt Richardson and Staurt Brown went close early on in a first half that Colts created but did not take a number of chances whilst Arms were limited to long throw set plays and shots from range. The second half was much of the same but Colts made the break through after 69 minutes when early passing saw matt Richardson find Stuart Brown on a third man run and he cooly slotted home to give colts a deserved lead. Arms were back on terms  within 2 minutes when a soft corner was conceded and the ball was only half cleared to the edge of the box and a lifted volley found the net.

Extra time saw Colts straight out of the traps and after 2 minutes the Arms keeper was forced to save from Tom Dyball with the help of the crossbar. From the resulting Dyball corner James Warner headed back acros goal for Stuart Brown to force home with a powerful header. With Colts now totally dominating and Arms tempers fraying the game was sealed 2 minutes from the end of extra time when a break by Colts saw Tom Dyball away down the flank and his cross was helped on by the defender for Dan Fensome to steal in on the far post to drive home to make it game over.



 Colts let Phoenix rise

   Phoenix 3, Harpenden Colts OB 2

Sunday 23 October 2011                Herts Advertiser Premier League 

 Harpenden Colts Old Boys were cruising at 1-0 up at half time against old rivals Phoenix from an Oliver Spicer goal but they switched off in the second half giving the ball away and then finding themselves 3-1 down before James Warner pulled a goal back to set up a frantic final 10 minutes before going down 3-2. Matt Richardson was outstanding leading the Colts front line.

Colts started well and were unlucky not to be given a penalty when a cross from Jonny Richardson was blocked using a raised arm after 15 minutes. Colts continued to make chances  and were rewarded after 32 minutes when Jonny Richardson won a cormer on the right and Tom Dyball’s cross was firmly headed home by Oli Spicer stealing in for a free header to make it 1-0.

The second half saw Colts take their foot off the gas giving the ball away cheaply and they got punished twice in 3 minutes after 56 minutes allowing the ball to be played in from deep and wide across the defence for free chances and they found themselves 2-1 down and chasing the game. Colts were again unlucky not to be awarded a certain penalty for handball but they lost their slick passing and punted the ball forward too often to give the ball away and put themselves under pressure before being caught on the break 11 minutes from time to go down 3-1. Colts immediately rsponded with some trademark passing football and a great interchange after Matt Richardson turned his marker and a wall pass with Dan Fensome saw Fensome slip Jimmy Warner in to dummy his marker and fire home from close range. With Colts now laying siege to the Phoenix goal they created but did not take a number of good chances to crash 3-2 against a side they they beat 4 times last season. 

Pussy: team award for not turning up until late.

Team: Collins; Arnsby (Newcombe), Ling, Oxley, Spicer (Whitehurst); Richardson J, Fensome, Ellis, Dyball; Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: Oakley S.

Arnsby meets the Challenge

  Harpenden Colts OB 2, AFC Rangers 0

Sunday 16 October 2011                Herts Advertiser Challenge Cup R2  

Harpenden Colts Old Boys were pressing for much of this Herts Advertiser Challenge Cup 2nd round match but it was not until the 78th minute that the breakthrough came with a fine goal by Stuart Brown and Colts wrapped it up with the last kick of the game with a goal by James Warner. Richard Oxley was outstanding at the back for Colts well supported by stand in keeper Colin Arnsby.

With no keeper this week Colin Arnby stepped up to the challenge as keeper and Colts took their que as they dominated much of this game and could have been a goal up but James Warner was unlucky to slip just before his anticipated hook home. Oli Spicer was unlucky when his near posty header from a Matt Richardson cross was somehow clawed away by the keeper but Colts for the most part couldn’t produce the killer final ball but the first half ended with Arnsby rarely troubled in the Colts goal.

The second half saw Colts step up a gear and were unlucky not to be awarded what looked to all a stonewall penalty when Matt Richardson was bundled down from behind in the box but they continued to press and they were rewarded when Tom Dyball cut in from the right and his cross was met by Stuart Brown who hooked in on the volley on 78 minutes to ste Colts on their way. Brown was unlucky minuted later to see his header rebound from the bar but despite a Pussy winning scare when Colin Arnsby mishandled a long range effort Colts sealed the game with almost the last kick of the match when a long clearance down the line saw Matt Richardson hold the ball up and then cross for James Warner to wrong foot his marker to fire home from close range to make it 2-0. 

Pussy: Collin Arnsby for a fumble of a long range effort that went through his legs and almost crept over the line.

Team: Arnsby; Newcombe, Oxley, Brennan (Spicer), Whitehurst; Fensome, Brown, Ellis, Dyball; Warner J. Richardson M. Subs not used: Ling (injured) Oakley M.


Colts fade after dominating

  Nicholas Breakspear OB 4, Harpenden Colts OB 1

Sunday 9 October 2011                Herts Advertiser Premier League  


Harpenden Colts Old Boys looked comfortable against Nicholas Breakspear Old boys as they took a deserved 1-0 lead into the second half with a goal by Tom Brennan but they paid they penalty for failing to press in the second half and conceded 3 goals in 5 minutes on the hour to find themselves chasing the game finally failing away to a goal on the break to crash 4-1. James Warner was outstanding for Colts well supported by Matt Richardson.  

Colts started well and they took the lead after 4 minutes when a free kick by Ollie Spicer was headed against the bar by Dan Fensome and Tom Brennan was first to the rebound to head home from close range. Jimmy Warner then went close with a left foot drive that drifted over the top corner and they created lots of pressure to leave NBOB scrapping and in a half that saw 5 yellow cards issued NBOB could be considered lucky not to see red after Jimmy Warner was elbowed in the eye and Chris Ellis narrowly escaped injury from a two footed lunge tackle. Colts went close again when the keeper saved at close range from Jimmy Warner and NBOB ended the half looking ragged with Colts looking comfortable.

The second half saw Colts loose some of the pressing and NBOB up their challenges but Colts still looked comfortable until after 58 minutes the ball was weakly headed clear only for it to be headed back into the box and the NBOB forward hook the ball home unchallenged. Colts were agin asleep 2 minutes later when a shot from outside the box hit the post and saw only a NBOB player following the ball in for a simple tap in. Another 2 minutes saw Colts chasing the game when an angled 25 yard screamer flew into the top corner to make it 3 goals conceded in 5 minutes and Colts looking drained. The final 30 minutes saw Colts lose team shape as they chased the game giving NBOB lots of passing space and despite a good chance falling to Dan Fensome to put colts back in the game they got caught on the break 10 minutes from time to make it 4-1 and game over.

Pussy: Squad award this week.

Team: Collins; Arnsby, Lewis, Brennan, Spicer; Fensome, Brown, Ellis, Dyball; Warner J. Richardson M (Ling). Subs not used: Newcombe (injured) Oakley S.

Warner Hits double Brace

 Harpenden Colts OB 6, Borehamwood (2000) 0

Sunday 2 October 2011                Herts County Senior Cup R1  

Harpenden Colts Old Boys dominated  this Herts County Senior Cup match against Borehamwood 2000 but squandered numerous good chances whilst cruising to a comfortable 6-0 victory with a double brace from James Warner and a singles from Oli Spicer on his return from injury and a penalty by Tom Dyball who also provided 2 assists. The ever improving Sam Lewis was outstanding at the back for Colts well supported by a fit again Colin Arnsby at full back.

Colts looked comfortable from the off in this game but it seemed to turn into a competition to snatch Pussy as good chances were missed by Jimmy Warner and Matt (Torres) Richardson before after 9 minutes Jimmy Warner latched onto a ball over the top by Dan Fensome to cooly slot past the advancing keeper to make it 1-0. Four minutes later another ball over the top, this time by Colin Arnsby, saw Jimmy Warner beat the offside trap and lob the advancing keeper to put Colts in command at the break.

Colts were straight out of the traps in the second half and after 2 minutes Jimmy Warner ghosted in on the far post for a tap in from a Tom Dyball corner to make it 3-0 and his hat-trick. Colts then continued to create but not take numerous chances but after 79 minutes they made it 4-0 when from another Dyball corner Jimmy Warner stole in on the near post to tap home past a hesitant keeper. With Colts now rampant Jonny Ricardson was pulled down after 87 minutes and Tom Dyball made no mistake with the resultant penalty. With Colts now enjoying plenty of space they made it six a minute from time when a Tom Dyball through ball sent James Warner clear and his cut back was tapped in by Oli Spicer making a welcome return from injury.

Pussy: Matt Richardson – (Surpassing Torres moment).

Team: Collins; Arnsby, Lewis, Ellis, Whitehurst J (Newcombe); Richardson J,  Fensome, Brown, Dyball; Warner J. Richardson M (Spicer). Subs not used: Oakley S.


 Whitehurst shades Blacksmiths

 Hogs Blacksmiths 2, Harpenden Colts OB 4

Sunday 18 September 2011                Herts Advertiser Premier League  

 Zander Whitehurst capped a fine performance with 3 assists as Harpenden Colts Old Boys had to come from 2-0 down at half time after gifting both goals to ease past Hogs Blacksmiths with a well deserved 4-2 victory with a brace from James Warner and singles from David Keenleyside and Tom Dyball. Dan Fensome worked tirelessly in the Colts midfield well suported by Tom Brennan at the back.

Colts started this game brightly enough passing the ball well and dominating much of the early play but they gave away a soft free kick on 31 minutes and a soft deflection off the wall somehow found its way inside the far post to put Blacksmiths ahead.  Colts then started to play direct football giving the ball away too easily and paid the penalty when after 38 minutes a route 1 ball found keeper Collins in horrendous trouble from a failed clearance which saw the Blacksmith forward with an easy tap in to make it 2-0 at the break.

A crisp half time team talk and formation shuffle saw Colts back to their passing game and they were rewarded when 3 minutes after the break Zander Whitehurst was sent down the right flank and his cut back was met by Dave Keenleyside to pull a goal back. Colts levelled 3 minutes later when Dave Keenleyside’s vision saw Jimmy Warner peal into space and his through ball saw Warner slide the ball past the advancing keeper. With Colts now really up for it they went ahead after 57 minutes when again Zander Whitehurst was sent clear down the right flank and his surging run into the box saw him brought down and Tom Dyball made no mistake with a fine penalty. Colts were now well in command but the game was not sealed until the 86th minute when Chris Newcombe sent Zander Whitehurst clear on the right again and his floated cross saw Jimmy Warner steer home a fine header to win the match for Colts. 

Pussy: Charlie Collins – (you had to be there).

Team: Collins; Newcombe (Arnsby), Brennan, Ling (Lewis), Whitehurst J; Whitehurst Z,  Ellis, Fensome (Oxley), Dyball; Warner J.Keenleyside.
Colts Trump Jacks

 Harpenden Colts OB 2, Blackberry Jack 1

Sunday 11 September 2011                Herts Advertiser Premier League  

With just a bare 12 players available Harpenden Colts OB dominated much of this match against Blackberry Jack but it was not until the second half that the breakthrough was made with a fine 30 yard goal from man of the match Stuart Brown and then an own goal from a Tom Dyball corner put Colts in command before Blackberry Jack pulled back a goal from a corner in the 89th minute to set up a frantic last few minutes. James Warner was a constant thorn in the Blackberry defence whilst Alex Dennehy justified his call up from the reserves with a solid performance.

Colts dominated this match from start to finish but kicking in the face of a swirling wind Colts made the final ball into the box harder in the first half by failing to kep the ball on the floor making high balls into the box easy for the Blackberry central defenders to deal with.

A crisp half time talk and the wind now at their backs saw Colts press constantly and they were unlucky when Jimmy Warner’s close range free header crept over the bar after 48 minutes. The breakthrough came after 52 minutes when Stuart Brown picked up a loose ball on the halfway line and his surging run forward saw him fire a great shot from 30 yards into the top corner to give Colts a dersved 1-0 lead. Colts went further ahead on 61 minutes when a corner from the left by Tom Dyball saw the defenders under pressure from Jason Ling and the rushed clearance attempt slick inside the near post to put Colts 2-0 up and crusing. The game then saw Colts on the receiving end of a number of late brusing challenges but they kept their nerve to continue to dominate with keeper Charlie Collins being rarely troubled before a loss of concentration a minuted rom normal time saw a marked attacker on a corner be allowed a free header to pull a goal back for Blackberry Jack that their play did not deserve and wreck Colts plans for a clean sheet at the Redbournabou.

Pussy: James Warner – Free header missed from 6 yards.

Team: Collins; Arnsby (Newcombe), Lewis, Ling, Whitehurst J; Whitehurst Z, Brown, Ellis, Dyball; Dennehy, Warner. Subs (unused) Oakley S.

Colts shaded by Vision

 Vision 3, Harpenden Colts Old Boys 2

 Sunday 4 September 2011                Herts Advertiser Premier League

 An under strength Harpenden Colts Old Boys marked their Premier league debut with two fine goals by David Keenleyside and Stuart Brown but uncharacteristic poor defending allowed Vision back in the game and then grab a winner in the 89th minute to dampen their title ambitions in a game that they deserved at least a draw having had efforts by Zander Whitehurst and Stuart Brown disallowed and a decent penalty claim turned down. Dave Keenleyside was outstanding for Colts adding an assist to Stuart Brown as well as a superb free kick for his goal. Dan Fensome worked hard in the Colts midfield with keeper Charlie Collins making a couple of smart saves late on.

With 5 players missing with injuries or unavailable Colts knew it wasn’t going to be easy against a side that were not regarded as title contenders but they moved the ball around well and and were unlucky to see an effort by Stuart Brown ruled out as well as a good penalty shout when Stuart Brown was brought down as he was through and about to pull the trigger. Vision were fortunate not to be reduced to 10 men when Zander Whitehurst was cut down when through on goal but Colts however fell behind against the run of play when after 37 minutes a Vision handball went unpunished and colts made the mistake of hesitating whilst appealing as the ball was then played through for the Vision striker to force home. Colts were back on terms after 42 minutes when Colts were awarded a free kick and Dave Keenlyside stepped up and hit a fierce Ronaldo type dipping free kick under the bar for the equaliser.

Stuart Brown hits our second against Vision 04.09.11

Colts certainly fancied the second half and they went ahead after 53 Minutes when Dave Keenleyside slipped in Stuart Brown and his fierce drive went inside the far post. Colts were then unlucky to see a fine effort by Zander Whitehurst disallowed but once again colts paid the penalty for hesitation and appealing for offside and were caught after 67 minutes when they failed to press as a unit and let Vision behind them for a soft goal. Charlie Collins was then called upon to make two smart saves in the last 10 minutes as Colts pressed for the winner but they paid the penalty in the 89th minute by giving the ball away cheaply on the edge of the Vision box and getting caught on the break despite a 3 to 1 defending advantage to lose 3-2.

Team: Collins; Newcombe, Ellis, Ling, Whitehurst J; Whitehurst Z, Fensome, Richardson J, Dyball (Lewis); Keenleyside, Brown. Subs (unused) Oakley S.


Catnappers scalded by Warner brace

Harpenden Colts Old Boys  2, Skew Bridge 0

Brian Collins Charity Shield                                            14 August 2011

Catnapping Skew Bridge were well beaten in the Brian Collins Charity Shield on Sunday at Harpenden Towns ground on a day that over £4,000 was raised for Charity. Jimmy Warner punished Skew with two fine goals in a game that saw keeper Charlie Collins rarely troubled with man of the match Chris Ellis working hard in midfield well suported by Stuart Brown and Dave Keenlyside who provided the assists for both Warner goals. Zander Whitehurst impressed on his debut for the Old Boys.

Despite a self inflicted 1st minute scare HARCOB had much of the play from the start with Dave Keenleyside and Stuart Brown buzzing in the middle of the park and the lively Warner creating plenty of space with his runs. Colts went close with shots from Brown and Warner and the Skew keeper had to make smart saves to keep colts at bay whilst at the other end Charlie Collins used his head to make a fine shut down save to keep the Catnappers out.


Skew caught Catnapping by Jimmy Warner for our second goal

The second half saw HARCOB’s fitness start to tell and they were rewarded when a fine ball from Stuart Brown split the defence to see Jimmy Warner slide the ball past the exposed keeper. Colts should have scored further when Jimmy Warner and Zander Whitehurst both had close range efforts that Skew somehow mananged to get people behind the ball. 

Jimmy Warner slides home from Stuart BrownSkew caught Catnapping by Jimmy Warner for our second goal

With Colts now starting to dominate and Zander and James Whitehurst both starting to cause problems on the overlap Colts won a corner and while the Skew defence were guilty of some serious catnapping James Warner lost his marker to fire home Dave Keenleysides corner unopposed to send the Moggie Army wild in the stands and seal a fine 2 – 0 win for HARCOB.

Dan Fensome worked hard in midfield whilst Sam Lewis and Huw Trevor both looked comfortable stepping up a level to impress manager Steve Oakley. Linda Collins was outstanding with the Outspans.
Team: Collins; Arnsby (Trevor H.), Brennan (Lewis), Ling, Whitehurst J; Whitehurst Z, Brown, Ellis, Fensome; Keenleyside, Warner J. Subs (unused) Dennehy, Luckhurst